Tuesday, February 13, 2007

24 hours and counting

We are sitting down to lunch with a grilled cheese and spaghetti-o’s, taking a break from packing and cleaning the house. We are flying out tomorrow hoping our little Tess will have her passport when we arrive. With a process fraught with twists and turns, the latest was a fire at the passport office in Kolkata this weekend! They were to mail her passport Monday and have it at the orphanage by tomorrow, but with the FIRE…they may not receive the passport until next Monday, the day we are to pick her up. Oh, well. We are determined to stick to our plans and leave expecting everything to be in place when we arrive.

And a water main broke in our neighborhood and we had no water last night and we are not guaranteed water over the next 24 hours.

But, we are so focused on the moment we hug and kiss our little girl, nothing else matters. Henry is ecstatic. The other night he was lying in bed and turned to Ellen and said, “I hope they are taking good care of my baby sister in India”. We both started to cry. This morning I was driving him to school and we were talking about the trip and he said, “Daddy, I have been patient a long time. I am ready to pick up my baby sister”. We all are.

Now that Henry is expressing his desire to travel, I cannot imagine not taking him. He wants so much to be a part of this journey.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, it finally seems real! I finally broke down and had a cry of my own tonight! I can't imagine your emotions tonight as you anticipate this trip. Now that it's all said and done, I'm glad Henry is going. I can't imagine him staying behind now either. He deserves to meet her the very moment you guys do. She will change (for the good!) his life quite a bit and he should be there to welcome her first hand. So bon voyage~ we love you, will miss you and pray for your safe travels. Can't wait to have all four of you back!!!! Post pics ASAP!!! Love, Melissa

7:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have only known your family a short time and I really am so excited. It is such an emotional journey and I am happy that I get to tag along to share this with you. She is a very beautiful little girl and Henry is going to like being a big brother. Enjoy the rest of your trip and we will all be here to see you guys when you get back. Words cannot express how excited I am for your family.
Love,
The Mendez Family

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home