Thursday, February 15, 2007

Floaties in Kolkata

It’s noon in Kolkata. Since looking out our window and taking the photo of the sunrise early this morning, we have seen the streets fill with sights, sounds, cars, people, and more people. Henry wanted to go swimming this morning and did not have any floaties (the things that blow-up around the arms to keep kids afloat). I asked the folks at the front desk if they had any. After about 5 minutes trying to explain what “floaties” were, a young lady suggested I walk down to the market. Now let me begin by saying the hotel we are staying in is beautiful. It rests within one of the busiest areas of Kolkata. I keep referring to it as a ‘compound’. Buildings, none over several stories, line busy streets with storefronts and venders lining the sidewalks. You turn in under these grand arcs between these old buildings and you are in a private oasis, the Oberoi Grand Hotel. We feel like royalty. Staff fills the entry way with guards all around. Everyone is dressed impeccably and each person greets you with clasp hands and a deep bow. Everyone is so beautiful from their dress to their smiles to their wonderfully bronzed complexion. It seems like a dream. But let me take you to the market. Outside the grand arcs the streets are filled with people. Everyone wants only a moment of your time a dollar for some goods. But here I am walking the streets of Kolkata looking for floaties so Henry can swim. I walk down the street weaving through the crowd, exchanging glances and smiles. I see an odd looking shop that sold tennis rackets. I walked in and this short jolly man with hair like the comedian Galligar, yet grey, welcomes me. I explain what I am looking for and with moments he pulls out an old sack of floaties that must have been made in the early days of plastic. He offers me a seat where he was sitting and takes the time to pump each one up to assure they worked well. I pay him 200 rupees, about $4 and we embrace in a hearty handshake and I am gone. Floaties in Kolkata.

It reminds me of Istanbul but the people here seem to be more at peace. Everyone loves to talk and ask questions and appreciates honesty and good conversation. English seems like it is the primary language. You encounter many businesses with English signs and many speak the language better than most Americans. All we desire is to recover from the intense trip today and will venture further out into the city tomorrow.

But here is the news everyone really cares about and the reason we have brought our hearts to the other side of the world. I spoke with Ms. Roy, the head of the children’s center, and we will pick her up on Monday at noon! She asked, “will you come today?”, I told her of the luggage and our desire to know Tess’s home a little better before we come. Plus, without the donations to the center, her bottles, clothes and other necessities from the luggage, it would be very difficult to do this. But knowing we are in the same city, the same area of our daughter, keeps our spirits high and our hearts strong. We’ll see you soon little girl.

I must say once again how incredibly strong and brave Henry has been. He ran around the plane from London to Kolkata in his Superman pajamas and had the whole plane in his palms. Everybody commented on his good behavior and how cute he was. He has been a super-trooper!

Love to all of our family! I know everyone is worried about us, but we are doing so well. A little tired, but we are safe and sound. Thanks for the comments; it is great to hear from you all. Keep you “posted”!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings and best wishes from Clay - I hope everything continues to go well and I'm envious of Henry, what a trip to remember - a lot more exciting than those weekends in Hot Springs I got at his age! Safe travels to you all-

6:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We love reading your adveenture to get your new daughter. Keep informing us. You've got us laughing and crying. Jane and Bob

7:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, you guys. This is Jan at HAM. I am just catching up on your journey and I keep choking up with tears. I am looking forward to meeting little Tess when you all get home. Home! Isn't it a beautiful word. Journey safely. See you soon.

12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loving all the news esp. the pics! I hope today brought you guys some rest and down time. did Henry finally get to swim? Loved the story! I think this could be a short book to publish later...perfect title Floaties in Calcutta. my spelling

We're all fine here! We run home to get on the computer each pm . can't seem to get this website at school. It must be blocked.

Keep the news and photos current! We wait to read every word! Hi, Hen! Love, Aunt Melissa

2:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was enthralled with your beautiful story. What an adventure. We are all on the edge of our seat waiting to hear the next chapter.
Peace be with you,
Rebecca

2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jacob and Eli send a great big shout out to Henry! They keep telling us that Henry is in 'another place'. This is a great adventure for you all. We are so excited for you and love reading about it.
Cathy and Kraig Sanders

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guys, I too have been laughing and crying with every blog. Everything is fine with Brother, Sister, Kavanaugh and Boo. I agree with Melissa, you should publish as a short book. Stay safe... Sorina~

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is amazing you guys! i'm so excited for all of you! i'm quite weepy at the moment, actually, but only with joy, of course. hang in there! we're all anxiously awaiting your return. the members have asked about you every day since you left. i know they can't wait to hear your stories and meet your sweet new love...i know i can't wait! i hope you get good rest and continue to bask in the purity of this amazing experience! looking forward to hearing what's next.
love to you all!
-jessica

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hurry home with my new niece!
Love Ya'll,
David

8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home