Friday, February 16, 2007

Hello from Ellen



Henry blogging at 2 in the morning

Hello. Ellen here. I just wanted to write a word or two so that you all were assured of my well-being—ha! Luke has been a blogging fool so I really don’t have much to add. We slept most of Friday and all woke up around 2 am. We held out until about 3:30 and went down to the restaurant and ate dinner. Thank goodness this is a 24-hour place (although it seems like the city itself wakes up at 10 am). Henry has tried just about any food that has been put in front of him (although he did inform the waiter this morning that he was a vegetarian. To which the waiter replied, “So am I.”). I’ve had a splitting headache so that espresso this morning was VERY welcomed. Yay—I got my fix and I’m ready to go. It’s about 5:45 am now and we are set to go out and see Kolkata at 8 am. I’m excited. I really want to go see the flower markets under the Howrah Bridge. I also want to see the bridge which (according to the travel books) has more than a million people crossing it by car, foot, bicycle, etc. a DAY. And another site on my list is the botanical gardens so we can see the oldest Banyan tree which has the second largest canopy in the world (don’t ask me where the largest is). We’ll see what all we see and we will upload photos to the other site.

I was sorry Henry had fallen asleep in the car from the airport because we were Speeding with a capital S down the main thoroughfare along with walkers, people on bikes, etc. (he was awake for that) when we saw a herd of goats, seemingly comfortable with the pavement and urban environment, dodging traffic. I had told him we would get to see animals in the traffic—maybe we’ll see some today. It’s amazing the way the cars whiz through the streets with all kinds of obstacles and that was in the dead of night when there were few people out. It reminds me of Boston, actually. Well, we’ll check back soon. I’m jealous that Luke has been out and about (searching for floaties) and I’ve not seen a thing yet.

Thanks a MILLION for posting!!! You don’t know how excited we get when there are messages. We really look forward to it.

p.s. Please post on the blog but if you need to get in touch with us personally, email to ekorenblat@yahoo.com. Thanks.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

See, I told you I check this site a lot! Had to come upstairs for something and thought I'd just check and yea! new messages! hey, ellen! do they have diet coke? I would not be able to make it without that - my coffee!
henry getting some typing in- cute!
i guess it's sat. morning there - our sat. am will be spent at Kramer's b'ball game. Mom/dad not coming after all. may come next tues. nite instead.

take care and enjoy the journey! Melissa

6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am happy that you made it to Calcutta. Ellen, you need to get out. Take Henry to the victoria memorial. He'll probably get to see a monkey show.
I have really enjoyed following your blog. Looking forward to you picking up Tess. Isn't the Oberio great? That's where we stayed at on our last to visit to Calcutta. I can't believe you found floaties on the street. I guess we brought our own and never had to look for them. Take care and have a safe trip. Give Maya (Atmoja) a hug for me.

Sheri

9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are reading and re-reading every word you are writing. Although we trusted your judgement in taking Henry on this far-away trip, we now know just how perfect it is for him to be right there with you, experiencing every bit of this trip.

Gilbert says only Luke would comb the street of Calcutta for "Floaties".

It's 12:15 Sat. morning as I write this, ready for bed and anxious for tomorrow to come, just like a child at Christmas, so we can "see" and read all your news. Hope the luggage with the things you packed for the orphanage will arrive today and SOON you can meet Tess. We are swelling with pride to read of your adventures and how you have coped with each obstacle during this l-o-n-g journey. You are such a precious family and now Tess will be your newest blessing.

Tell Henry, papa and pam always knew he was "Super Man" now he is "Sky Trooper" too.

X's & O's all around. Enjoy this adventure & keep safe. Can't wait for more pictures and news.
night....
xopapa&pam.........

10:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Missionary Aunt and Uncle (30 years in Indonesia) say Banyon trees are widely considered to be inhabited by evil spirits. They have many first hand stories about them. Even as Baptist missionaries they believe it to be true.

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home