Monday, February 19, 2007

The News...





Henry finally has a baby sister! And Ellen and I are new proud parents of the most beautiful Bengali girl!

It has been quite a day to say the very least. This morning we woke up to room service knocking on the door and after a somewhat sleepless night interrupted by lingering thoughts of what the day would bring, I hopped out of bed and wrote the morning blog over a cup of coffee. Henry woke up saying, “Love is here! I love you mommy and your mommy loves you.” We poured over the emails and posts, consuming each word with tears and laughs. It was a morning filled with organizing, kissing Henry, and trying to push the lump back down our throats while squelching the butterflies in our stomachs. We could not believe the day was here. Ellen and I talked about how we were feeling, both the good and the bad. How unbelievable this whole thing was and how much our hearts ached and swelled. Time kept marching forward. We wanted it to stop for a while. Just long enough to hold onto each moment with what we had always known, the life we have made to this point. We wanted to remember with fondness the three of us. We wanted Henry to understand, truly understand, we have enough love for both him and his sister. Time kept marching forward. We were an hour and a half from leaving to go to pick her up. I told Ellen I needed to run out for another shave, confirm reservations in New Delhi, and arrange a car for the day. I got back with 45 minutes left and Henry ran to the door and said “I’m ready to go pick up my baby sister!” So we called to ask if the driver was ready and left with two large sacks of clothes, a packed diaper bag and camera in hand.

The trip to the center took 45 minutes to get 3 miles. The traffic was a welcome distraction to the nerves we were feeling. We talked with Henry, held hands, exchanged smiles and kisses while our eyes welled up with tears. Finally we arrive and were swept into a non-descript building except for the dozens on pieces of baby clothing hanging from the outside of the building windows. We were led by a young man who didn’t seem to speak any English, but was very polite. After passing a few guards, we went up a flight of open stairs and into a very small office. We could hear babies crying, babbling, and the general noise you would hear in a center with infants and small children. The walls were as such it gave a hollow feel and the noises echoed throughout. In came the director, Ms Anju Roy. She may have been in her 50’s. Her eyes and her disposition was one of complete calm. Her English was as great as her patience as we asked many questions to gain insight into her first year of life. Her face would glow as she began telling us stories of how Tess is the one who is always laughing. She is the one who all the other kids go to when they crawl around because she always tries to lift them up and loves to play. She was known to crawl from crib to crib to play with the other kids. But over and over again, they talked of her happiness and her constant sweet expression.

After a half hour or so she asked if we were ready to meet her. My God our hearts were about to jump out of our chests. Henry perked up and was smiling from ear to ear. We walked out of the office and around a small corner into the room where she was asleep.

Now at this point, my head went into a fog. It was like a power surge in your home. I felt like I was having an out of body experience. There must have been 15 cribs placed all around a small room. Some kids were up, others asleep. They seemed to be in awe as we came into the room. Everyone was quiet including the 4 Ayahs (caregivers). One of the ayahs walked aver and picked up a sleeping Tess and she strained to look around the room in the haze of her nap. Henry ran over to her and we followed. We waited a moment to take her but immediately began stroking her and speaking to her. I think we were the only ones in the room who spoke English so as we were speaking to her, no one, including Tess, understood anything we were saying. I took her first. She leaned against me and put her arms around me. She then leaned back to take another look at this stranger. Ellen took her soon after. She kept looking at me. I think it was the fact she wasn’t use to seeing men. After many pictures and long goodbyes we made our way out. The entire process seemed to happen in a flash. We felt like we should have stayed the day, but they were comfortable with the routine and everything flowed without our control. How do you tell someone how much you truly appreciated what they have done for this little girl the first year of her life when they don’t understand anything you are saying?

But we made our way to the car with Tess wanting nothing more than to be in Ellen’s arms and raced through the streets of Kolkata to return to the hotel.

I will write more details about the rest of the day later. It is 6:30 at night and we have seen her laugh out loud and cry with the pain of not knowing where or why she is here with us. We can already see the struggles and hardships, the complete joy, the exultations and the questions to come. How do we leave the life we know and begin the life to come? How will Henry embrace his sister? We don’t know how to comprehend and understand it all. Perhaps we never will. All we know at this point our little girl needs our love, our devotion, and her diaper changed.

31 Comments:

Blogger Nadra said...

Congratulations!!! I know this is a wonderful day for you. Tess is beautiful.

Your post sums up what so many of us have felt as we picked up our babies.

Get some rest and enjoy your new family of 4.

Nadra

7:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My eyes are filled with tears for the 4 of you, for your new found daughter and for her new found parents. She will come to love and depend on you quickly and the life she is leaving behind will vanish from her memory just as quickly. We love you and can't wait for you to bring baby Tess home. We loved the pictures and can tell Henry will prove to be the best big brother ever. You are truly a wonderful family. Love, Aunt/Great Aunt, Jane

7:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finally! I have been going to the website every 15 minutes! How wonderful to see Tess with you all. Everyone in Little Rock is so happy! Thank you so much for sharing--it's been incredible. Much love,
Louise

7:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm crying and can't see the keyboard! the pictures of Henry are beautiful. can't wait to see more posted. What a story for the kids to read some day. This must get printed somehow/someway. She is a doll but how strange it must feel for her to be in this new place with these new people. but I agree with Jane, her memories of her life there will go away quickly as she falls in love with you guys. She'll someday know how much she was wanted and taken care of by you and how much fuller her life will be because of your family.

Dad is in rosie so mom is wishing she could see these photos. I may have to talk her thru how to use the computer! They are coming up Tuesday (tomorrow) for K's ball game. We are all off today for Presidents' Day.

Hope your first night went well. Did I miss a passage @ the trip to New Delhi? was that the car ride? I thought you had to fly to get her?? Or do you fly to ND with her to finish paperwork? somewhere on this journey I got lost!

Love you all... kisses to big brother Henry! love, Melissa

7:48 AM  
Blogger RunTMC said...

We are so happy for you!. Owen sends a message of joy to Henry and wants to know if he is coming home tonight. He also says that he likes the pictures of Baby Sister Tess (actually her full name in our house is Henry's Baby Sister Tess).

We look forward to your homecoming!

Love,
Tracey, Joe and Owen

8:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I can barely contain myself - too many tears of joy for your family! I love reading all the details of your journey and look forward to more stories. Tess is a star!
Love from Melissa, Billy and Georgie

8:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How big is she - do you have height and weight?

Melissa Banks

8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

she's amazing! you guys are beautiful. thank you so much for sharing these moments. i'm overwhelmed. everyone here at birch is thinking of you and asking about you. i'm having so much fun keeping everyone posted. be well in the remainder of your journey home! we can't wait! peace and love,
jessica

8:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

p.s. -- Henry, you look like an old pro with the bottle! It's clear you will be a fantastic big brother! How blessed your sister is to have such a sweet brother to look out for her!

8:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TESS IS BEAUTIFUL!!!!WE LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH!I'M STILL CRYING AND CAN'T SEEM TO STOP.WE ARE SO HAPPY FOR YOU.YOU GUYS HAVE SO MUCH TO GIVE AND SO MUCH LOVE IN YOUR HEARTS.TESS IS A VERY SPECIAL LITTLE GIRL TO GET SUCH A WONDERFUL FAMILY. I GUESS YOU WIL NEED TO START LOOKING FOR A LARGER BED!!!GIVE HENRY AND TESS A BIG HUG AND LOTS OF KISSES .WE LOVE YOU ALL! AMY,CHRIS,ALEX,FORREST,BETHANY AND ASHTYN

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

THE COMP. AND I DON'T GET ALONG VERY WELL!!SO IN CASE I CAN'T GET BACK HERE.. GRAB HOLD OF EACH OTHER...HOLD ON TIGHT..AND GET READY FOR THE WONDERFUL JOURNEY YOU ARE ABOUT TO EMBRACE!!! BE SAFE AND KNOW ALL OUR THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU.I LOVE YOU. AMY

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HENRY.. IT LOOKS LIKE WE HAVE A NEW PRINCESS IN THE FAMILY!!!I LOVE YOU! AMY

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, now you have made every one teary eyed...except Steve of course..But I will have this to say of him...he awakened me last night out of a deep sleep to come read my e-mail from you Ellen..All we seem to do is run to the computer to check on our special loved ones..thank you for everything you both have shared with all of us back home !!! We welcome Tess to our family and know Henry will bring her home to her J.J...love

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We love every minute of your wonderful venture, and Tess looks great. Now there are two. Kiss them both for us. Keep eye on number one son, Henry. We get it all on the computer,but mine is slow.

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You all are so wonderfully eloquent! I thank you for sharing all your feelings and insight. Joyce is thrilled, too. Have a safe trip home and then bring Tess to see us! Henry needs to introduce us to his sister.

Marcelline

1:50 PM  
Blogger Eileen and Dirk said...

EVERYONE looks so happy! We are so thrilled for the entire family. How lucky you all are to have such a loving, wonderful new family.
Love,
The Dolbeares

2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey henry this is forrest i bet you are excited i know we all are...i miss you and luke and aunt ellen and tess already cant wait til you come back with tess maybey we can go eat some U.S. Pizza ......AND THEN WACH CARS AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN I NO YOU LOVE IT AND TESS WILL TO......I LOVE ALL OF YOU SO MUCH

MUCH LOVE FOR TESS AND HENRY ELLEN AND LUKE HAVE FUN IN INDIA LOVE YOU ALL

FROM FORREST

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HENRY..SHE IS SO ADORABLE!!!I CAN'T WAIT TO MEET TESS..WHEN YOU GET HOME WE WILL HAVE TO TAKE TESS TO THE ZOO.I LOVE YOU ALL..CAN'T WAIT TIL YOU GET HOME!LOVE, BETHANY

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

korenblat-kramers!
congratulations! everyone looks so great. here's to an easy return home to hillcrest.
love to the four of you, amy d.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Luke and Ellen said...

Quickly- It is 6:30 am on Tuesday. We are packing this morning to fly to New Delhi. We will spend Wed/Thurs in Embassy. Leave Sat morning...she's waking uo! BYE!

5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it just me or is there a remarkable resemblence between Henry & Tess. I think he was meant to be her big bro. Way to go!

6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a thrill to see the pictures and read about all four of you! Thank you for sharing your incredible Tess journey filled with love and joy. Congratulations and lots of love!

6:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cannot read or type through my tears! The photos and story are simply amazing. Tess is beautiful and Henry is the BEST big brother! My heart is bursting it is so full of joy. The story of the Kramer/Korenblat family is full of so much adventure and love. What a special 4 some you are. I am sending love and hugs to you on the other side of the world and I cannot wait for your return. Safe safe travels sweet ones.

Love, Meredith

6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I THINK I FINALLY FIGURED THIS BLOG THING OUT!!!WE ARE ON PINS AND NEEDLES WAITING TO HEAR AND SEE MORE OF YOUR WONDERFUL JOURNEY!!!THE DOC SAID ASHTYN MAY GET TO MOVE TO RECOVERY W/IN 3 TO 5DAYS.WE COULD HAVE HER HOME W/IN 2 WEEKS...SHE IS BREATHING TOTALLY ON HER OWN NOW. TOOK THE LAST TUBE OUT(AIR)TODAY!!!!SHE TOLD ME SHE WAS READY TO COME HOME AND SLEEP IN HER OWN BED...YOU CAN HEAR HER CRY NOW!!!WE LOVE YOU AND CANT WAIT UNTIL SAT. PLEASE BE SAFE AND KNOW WE CAN'T STOP THINKING OF YOU..I LOVE YOU ..AMY

9:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can not express how happy I am for the four of you! WOW! This is the best love story ever! I feel very fortunate to be on this wonderful journey with you through this blog. Thank God for Kleenex!

Sharon

11:16 PM  
Blogger Raquel said...

Henry and Family. Hi Henry first let me tell you that I am not a very good writer. I usually use slang or mispell, and never do spell checks because I am sometimes to lazy. Ashley misses you at school. I told her you are bringing home your little sister. She can't wait to meet her. I can't wait to see you and your little sister. I miss your mom and I know how happy you all must be feeling. That feeling of joy has only just begun. Your sister seems as though she was meant to be part of your family. Enjoy her always. Girls are really fun but so are boys. I hope you can read my terrible writing Henry. But I just really wanted to say Hi, and can't wait till you all are home safe. Bye Raquel

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ellen and Luke!
Sorina came by the clinic and has shown me the incredible pictures of your journey to get Tess! She is so beautiful! I know how exciting this moment is for you and I can not wait to see you all when you get home!!

Love you!!
Laura Mehaffy

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK we all need some fresh news!!! I know you are busy with a new baby and all but not hearing from you for a day is making me nervous!! write something/anything just to tell us you are ok and just worn out from being parents of 2 now!!!! Melissa

2:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'M WITH MELISSA.. WE ARE WORRIED.. MOM HASN'T EVEN HEARD ANYTHING.. WE LOVE YOU AND KNOW YOU ARE WORN OUT..LET US KNOW YOU R OK.....XOXOX!!!!AMY

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Luke and Ellen and Henry and Tess, Has a great ring to it!! Congratulations on becoming parents again. Congrats to Henry for becoming a big brother! As a little sister myself (Mary from Fayetteville!) I can appreciate all the things that a big brother has to do. I am so happy for you all!!

4:32 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

I keep checking the blog every few hours waiting for more, more, more! We are so excited you have your sweet, beautiful Tess. We loved the pictures. Emily has been following the blog with me and is telling everyone she sees about Henry's new little sister, Tess. We are overwhelmed by everything you have been thru and so very happy you have shared it with all of us. Have a safe return and know your family of four is in our prayers.
Much Love, Alyson and Shane

4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home